A Vortex Flow Meter is a flow measurement device best suited for flow measurements where the introduction of moving parts presents problems.
Sensitivity to variations in the process conditions are low and with no moving parts. As a result, they have relatively low wear compared to other types of flow meters.
A Vortex flow meter operates under the vortex shedding principle, where an oscillating vortexes occur when a fluid such as water flow past a bluff (as opposed to streamlined) body. The frequency that the vortexes are shed depend on the size and shape of the body.
Finally, It is ideal for applications where low maintenance costs are important. Industrial size vortex meters are custom built and require appropriate sizing for specific applications.
Vortex Flow Meter Working Principle
When the medium flows through the Bluff body at a certain speed, an alternately arranged vortex belt is generated behind the sides of the Bluff body, called the “von Karman vortex”.
Since both sides of the vortex generator alternately generate the vortex, the pressure pulsation is generated. It is generated on both sides of the generator, which makes the detector produce alternating stress.
The piezoelectric element encapsulated in the detection probe body generates an alternating charge signal. The signal is the same frequency as the vortex, under the action of alternating stress.
Furthermore, the signal is sent to the intelligent flow totalizer to be processed after being amplified by the pre-amplifier. It will realize displaying instantaneous flow and cumulative flow of fluid, communicating and controlling of flow data and the microcomputer system.
In conclusion, certain range of Reynolds number (2×10^4~7×10^6), the relationship among vortex releasing frequency fluid velocity V.
It also has a vortex generator facing flow surface width d can be expressed by the following equation:
Vortex Flow Meter Features
- The unique isolated sensor design allows for replacement without breaking the process seal
- Increase plant availability and reduce potential leak points with a gasket-free meter body with no moving parts
- Eliminate downtime and maintenance costs associated with plugged impulse lines with a non-clog meter body design
- Achieve vibration immunity with a mass balanced sensor and Adaptive Digital Signal Processing with visual filtering
- A standard internal signal generator included in every meter simplifies electronics verification
- All meters arrive pre-configured and hydrostatically tested, making them ready and easy to install
- Simplify SIS compliance with available dual and quad Vortex